Wednesday, May 7, 2008

2008's Second Honorable Mention


CATEGORY Sports
DESIGNER Krzysztof Piatkowski
SCHOOL School of Visual Art
YEAR Junior
MAJOR Graphic Design
INSTRUCTOR Mitch Shostak
INTERNSHIP WON W

What was the biggest challenge in creating your entry?
The biggest challenge was to convey speed, motion, the overall extreme rush of snowboarding using type composition against sort of a static image of Shaun White.

What was your inspiration in creating your entry?
SPEED, balance and snowboarding subculture was the inspiration. I do snowboard myself, so I know how speed is critical in this sport especially when doing extreme style like Shaun White. Also the handwritten type was used to create that connection with loose lifestyle, a lot of times associated with professional snowboarders.

Do you participate in any publication- or design-related campus activities?
Design workshops with various designers.

What are your favorite magazines?
I like a lot of magazines, but the ones I read regularly are Print, How, New York. Archive is a great inspiration and of course my roommate’s Time Out New York. I like their covers.

What do you want to do while in New York for your internship?
I want to see how it is to work for a magazine, experience the editorial side of design. Most of all, to have fun I guess.

No comments: